Monday, December 17, 2007

Everybody's Doing It


Publication: Oakland Press; Date:2007 Dec 16; Section:News; Page Number: A-22

A friend sent this to me this morning. I tried to find a link to the article to see if it said more but I couldn't find the original. In a nutshell, the caption said that a group of prisoners with long or life sentences get together on Wednesday nights to knit or crochet to pass the time. They are called "The Lifters" and their located in Saginaw, MI. I never thought about it but if I were serving a life sentence in prison then knitting or crocheting sure would help pass the time. I think they should knit some items for charity. Blankets for the homeless, hats for chemo patients, etc. It would be a good way for them to give back or help pay their debt to society. Just a thought.



But what I'm wondering now is where and how do they get the yarn. And is it dangerous for these people to have knitting needles and crochet hooks? The first thought that comes to my mind is shanking in the exercise yard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A guard is always present with a volunteer during the sessions. Only 11 people participate in this program.

Just for Kids, a local nonprofit that helps underpriveleged kids in Bay County is holiding a yarn drive for the prison kinniting group to make accessories for the children.

Don said...

The first thought that comes to my mind is shanking in the exercise yard.

Hilarious.